Low carb, gluten free Pumpkin Pie (Tart)
from a recipe in "Cooking with Coconut Flour", p.124
FOR THE FILLING
1 can Trader Joe's Organic Pumkin, 15 oz.
1/2 cup Mestiza coconut sugar
3/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon*
1/2 tsp. ground ginger*
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg*
1/2 tsp. ground clove*
1 tsp. vanilla extract
4 eggs, slightly beaten
1 unbaked single pie crust*** (recipe below)
** Or you can use 1 1/2 tsp of any pumpkin pie spice blend in stead of individual spices.
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Slightly beat eggs, and add pumpkin, coconut sugar, salt, spices and vanilla extract.
3. Pour mixture into unbaked pie tart.
4. Bake for 35- 40 minutes or until knife inserted in the center is clean. Cool just before serving with cream.
FOR THE PIE (TART) CRUST***
1/2 cup coconut flour, sifted
1/2 cup flaked or dessicated coconut, unsweetened
1/2 Tbsp. Mestiza coconut honey (optional)
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 tsp. salt
Several sheets of wax paper
1. Sift coconut flour and set aside.
2. Beat the eggs, honey, butter, salt. Lastly, add flaked or dessicated coconut and sifted coconut flour.
3. Carefully roll "dough" into a bowl and trasfer to a sheet of wax paper that is taped to the countertop.
4. Place a sheet of wax paper on top of the dough and flatten with a rolling pin to about 1/8" thick.
5. With the flattened "dough" remove the taped wax paper. This will make it easy to lift the "dough" and press into
your pie pan. Because the edges of the "dough" will burn faster than the filling, it is best to use a spring-form
pan so that the pie filling completely covers the "dough".
6. Make sure the suface of the dough is flat. It is now ready to be filled with the filling.
Bruce Fife, ND, 2005